Saturday, May 29, 2010

Oh, My. I'm Way Behind.

Wow, I let a week and a half go by before revisiting this site. I have been working so much, and rehearsing, and the declutter effort has ground to a halt. I'm still recycling envelopes and stuff, but that's about it. I got into a do-nothing mode last weekend and have been there all week till today, when I finally got sick of looking at the mess!

So let's see. I balanced my checkbook on Monday and recycled the envelope and inserts that came with the statement. Other than that...all the bills were paid by the last post...I recycled a catalog yesterday after calling to request removal from the mailing list. I can't recall any other decluttering.

As for cleaning, like I said, do-nothing mode. I've done dishes a few times just to try to keep ahead of them. I did laundry on Thursday at my bf's. That's it.

Today, however, I decided I wanted an organized life and a clean house. And I decided I could pretend I knew how to be organized and at least get started on the clutter part of cleaning - cuz as we all know, clutter is what makes cleaning hard.

So I scrubbed the toilet with the brush, and swiped off the rim. Then I swept up the catbox area and threw the litter in the toilet. I cleaned the cat box and left it open for a bit while I tried to remember how long it had been since I changed the litter. In the meantime I used a rag to clean off all the cat hair from the outside of the tub while I was waiting for the shower water to heat up. Then I cleaned the hair off the inside of the tub and the shower curtain while in the shower. I cleaned the vanity after I got out.

Then I dumped out my laundry (yes, it was still in the bag from Thursday), folded it, and put it away. Next I put away all the clothes on the chair except what I wanted to wear - I have a papasan in my room, so there were quite a few clothes to put away or put in the laundry basket. I also had a blanket there that I'd been waiting to put away till the weather decided what it was going to do (it has been a remarkably fluctuating spring). I folded it and a bedspread I'd just washed, and put them in the cedar chest where my blankets live. Took out the spring bedspread cuz they won't all fit. I put away a sheet that had been sitting on my dresser for a couple weeks, and then put away some gloves, a scarf, and a ribbon that were sitting on the dresser under the sheet. Lastly, I picked up the pile of socks that my bf dubbed my "sock farm," and put all but one pair in the laundry. My room was now done.

I changed the cat litter next, and then got the garbage ready to go out. I did a pile of dishes, then took out the garbage and some dead flowers and a plastic sheet I'd used to cover one of my windows in winter. Then I put away several paper bags, broke down four boxes for recycling, and cut four more pieces off old credit cards and my old drivers' license. The last thing I did was take three jackets and a sweater off the chair back they'd been hanging on, and put them in my room or on the coat rack. Then I looked around at the disaster area that is my living room and decided to eat something and take a break to go to my neighbor's yard sale. The break has been much longer than I planned, and I never made it to my neighbor's cuz I remembered I had to do this catch-up post!

Results: I don't know how this happened. I must have decluttered some major mental garbage for this to happen. This week I got the incredible news that I am inheriting money! This is from a great-aunt by marriage, who took care of my great-uncle's family as well as her own. She died a year and a half ago, and I had no idea that I was a legatee, so I'm just a tiny bit excited at the news :) I just never expected anything like this to happen! and I'm very, very grateful.

Will be cleaning and decluttering all weekend. I have no rehearsals and the holiday is mine, so this place is getting fixed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment