Saturday, November 6, 2010

Saturday, and More

I forgot that I also recycled a paper bag on Thursday.

And, last night I recycled one more newspaper, making the total for the night 28.

Today: I decided to go through the boxes of papers in my closet, cuz I knew I was keeping old bills and such that I didn't need anymore. After going through three boxes, I have about three reams of old bills and bank statements to shred. I also went through a couple of the bill folders in my file cabinet and took out some old stuff, and went through my user manuals and warranties to see what was expired.

Apart from the stuff to shred, I recycled: 72 info booklets, 24 envelopes, 202 pieces of paper, 5 prospectuses (which are thick booklets and account for probably another 150 pieces of paper), 10 pieces of cardboard, 2 small boxes, and 1 receipt. It took about three and a half hours. I took the bag of paper to the recycling bin, then recycled another envelope and insert after checking the mail, caught up on the filing, and recycled two more envelopes and inserts, and a voting brochure I just saw as I typed this. Plus another envelope!

Results: I feel like I accomplished something. By putting all these old files in the shred pile, I was able to put the old credit card statements, and my 2008 taxes, in the box that held the old files. There is still room, too, for when I need to put away 2009 taxes. The place is still far from done, but the paper is reduced to post-its scattered all over my table. Most of them have to do with work I'm doing for a friend, so a folder will take care of them.

Other results: I went to the Farmers' Market this morning and while I didn't find much of what I wanted to buy, there was a special FREE clambake going on, so I got in line and had some delicious mussels and clams, and even shot a raw clam! My, that was a yummy breakfast!

I also decided I'd buy a bottle of wine from the Finger Lakes wine booth, because that book I'm reading is in part about enjoying your life while also being responsible for your debt, and I realized that my life has been very low on enjoyment in recent years. I've been so focused on just getting the bills paid that I haven't saved anything or spent any money on entertainment or decor or much of ANYTHING. I've been living a very, very deprived life and it's time for that to change. I have to do it within my income, of course, which is going to mean closing credit accounts and negotiating significantly lower payments for awhile, but I can do that.

So tomorrow I am going to make use of my free movie card and go see something fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment