Sunday, May 31, 2009

Wednesday - Saturday

This week I decided to step up the decluttering, and deliberately get rid of two items at least one day. I've done two or more items at a time before, but the plan was always one a day.

So what happens? It's the weakest week of decluttering ever. I still did it, but the little baggie on Tuesday was only the beginning of tiny decluttering. I have had to keep reminding myself that the tiny stuff is also clutter, taking up space in my life, and it counts!

Wednesday: I threw away two rubberbands. I was pretty low about this. Have thrown away rubberbands before but they never made it into the blog. But I don't use rubberbands, so they are clutter for me.

Thursday: This was a result of some results! I took a catbox deordorizer to the lobby. It was far too strongly scented and would have given me a headache. It was given to me that day, so I also recycled a few newspapers so I could say I got rid of stuff that was already in the house.

Friday: I threw away some old body scrub that was...old. Too old to use. There was hardly any left anyway. Also gave a neighbor some cat treats I bought that my cat didn't like. She's picky about her treats. She'll eat plants that make her sick, but not treats made out of meat.

Saturday: Finally! Took a bag of clothes and stuff to the thrift store! There were seven items of women's clothing, two items of men's clothing, one indeterminite pair of shorts (though it looked manly), that shower scrunchy I couldn't give away before, and 5 notebooks. Three of the clothing items were mine, the rest came from my neighbors. And the notebooks were from work. We ordered them and didn't like them, and Staples said to donate them to charity, so that's what I did.

Results: A friend gave me a whole bag full of cat food and cat stuff. He found it in the free stuff area of HIS apartment building and snagged it for me! That's where the deodorizer came from. It's great cuz the cat likes the food (though again, not the treats!), so that means I get an extra week or two before I need cat food again. I gave the cat one of the toys, a squeaky mouse, to play with, and she thought it was real. She was running around with it in her mouth, meowing at me just like when she catches a real mouse (she's caught two or three since I've had her - they pretty much stay away). I took it away from her before she tried to eat it, but in the interim it was pretty funny.

It was kinda sad too, though, cuz there was a brush in the bag that still had cat hair in it, and you know whoever gave the stuff away just lost their cat one way or another. Awww.

Anyway. I just have to say, if you throw out a rubberband that you are never going to use, YOU ARE DECLUTTERING. One item a day, big or small, means you're in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment