Sunday, May 17, 2009

Saturday

Today's decluttering: I took a bath scrunchy thing - what are they called? They are like net that's scrunched up into a ball and you use it to scrub yourself, usually with some body wash or gel. Whatever, I don't enjoy them - too much work - so I took it to the lobby.

Results: Did I mention I'm singing in the chorus of an opera in June? The company is my friends', and they invited me to sing in the chorus of the last opera but I couldn't do it cuz I had too much going on. This one fit my schedule, though.

Anyway, today was our sitzprobe, and it went better than I expected given the amount of music we've had to learn in the amount of time we've had to learn it. Would be perfectly straightforward except for the fact that the women are frequently singing along for the mens' choruses and some of the parts have been switched around to compensate. Kinda hard to practice when you don't know what part you're singing. I've also volunteered to sing second on the soprano lines that split, and those notes are nearly impossible to find unless you have perfect pitch, which I don't. I do have great pitch memory, which I am going to need for those notes. For non-singers, that just means that you've memorized how the note sounds so you can pull it out of thin air. It's kinda like a cousin of perfect pitch. Perfect pitch is always there, though, while pitch memory only comes after you've heard the music a few (or many) times. But it lasts - I can still "hear" the starting notes of songs I learned 15 years ago.

OK, enough music lessons!

No comments:

Post a Comment