Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wednesday/Thursday

On Wednesday I recycled four newspapers and some other paper stuff...yeah, I know it's vague :) I just can't remember. I was cleaning up a bit after re-doing my taxes, cuz...I discovered I was going to overpay!

Thursday: No recycling/decluttering. I got up at 6:30 to make sure I was at the PO by 8:00 so I could get the taxes mailed and get to work on time.

Results: I started a new job today! It is another cleanup operation - I can't believe how many people out there are pretending to be bookkeepers. Seriously.

Yesterday I got out of a trade that had gone very very wrong. Never do what I did, people: I thought, oh, the stock is dropping a bit but I've got three weeks before the option expires, it'll come back before then. Baaaa. Wrong answer, thanks for playin'. I learned an expensive lesson. The option lost about as much value as it could without being completely worthless. It had some news that made the price drop and the volume was super low. And then yesterday, because of bad news for another company in the same sector (OK, it was Toyota - I was in a Ford option), my stock went back up, as did my option. I had considered doubling down (and actually more than doubling) when it was super-low, but I didn't. If I had I'd have made most of my money back. As it was, I got out at a price I felt was decent. Lost a lot, but not as much as it had been. :) Then today I saw that the price went up even more, so in the end, I was right about it coming back up by the end of the three weeks. BUT, knowing that options lose value right before expiring, I didn't think it was safe to stay in another day. If I had I would definitely have most of my money back.

So it was an expensive lesson, but I'm not completely out of the game. NEVER AGAIN will I not put in a stop-loss. You've got to get out when it goes against you. I was stuck in that thing for three weeks because I was being stubborn. And then I ended up getting out too soon, lol! I could have done four or five trades that would have been profitable in the time I held this option and lost money on it. So, if you ever trade, learn from my mistake: Know where to get out if it goes against you!

No comments:

Post a Comment