Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thursday Oct. 29th

Today I took the stack of papers to shred to work with me. I shredded all but three or four - the shredder was getting full and started to make some weird noises, so I figured the last few could wait for another week. But I got through a good 20 or 30 old bills and promotions, so I'm pleased to have that out of my house!

Results: Got the rent check today, plus about $75 in late fees! AND I got a notice from my mortgage company telling me the new payment - it's going DOWN!! Last year when it went down I continued to pay the same amount as the previous year, applying the difference to the principal. This year it will be twice the amount going to the principal!

Oh, I also figured out something really cool with my credit cards. I called one last week to do a balance transfer, and they gave me a really low rate on new purchases, and told me about their cashback program, which is currently giving 5% back on groceries and restaurants. I suddenly realized I could use that card instead of my debit card to pay for groceries, and then immediately make a payment to the credit card to cover the purchase. I get cash back, my higher rate balance may decrease depending on when the purchases post, and my minimum payment is covered! Just another way to stretch the dollars until my income increases.

No comments:

Post a Comment