Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas To Me

Well, it's been awhile once again, but tonight I felt like posting because something is shifting in my decluttering. I went to an event in November that I've been to a couple times before, called the MMI, and I signed up for their new coaching program while there because it sounded pretty good. The last time I went I did a year-long coaching program that netted me very little in results in the areas I cared most about, and apparently they got that kind of feedback from many people, so they began a new coaching program that is pretty much all about accountability. I like that because accountability is important to me, so I thought it might work to have someone holding me to my word.

I got my coach on Nov. 28th, and after four weeks I realized today that I'm doing things differently. The process is to set my own goals based on where I want to be in a year, and break it down to daily actions to accomplish. One of my major goals was to clean my apartment. Naturally for me that starts with decluttering. My coach said to write a list of everything that needs to be done in order to have a clean house. I decided to start with my living room rather than the entire apartment. I made the list and did one or two of the smaller things each day for a couple days, then got into the more complex decluttering. Finished the living room up last weekend. There are still minor things left but the room looks good.

Here's the shift that I noticed today: I'm continuing to work on that living room list even when it's not one of the daily actions I'm accountable for. I've moved beyond my comfort zone with decluttering.

That's huge. That's been my stumbling block. So here are a few of my recent declutters:

Dec. 12: Did Quicken catch-up and recycled 130 receipts and two papers.
Dec. 13: Recycled 47 post-its, one receipt, two envelopes, one card, and one postcard.
Dec. 17: Recycled six newspapers, 11 brochures, five magazines, one program, 20 envelopes, nine papers, seven letters, three postcards, eight inserts, and two photos.
Dec. 18: Recycled two envelopes, two cards, 23 receipts, 11 papers, one brochure, two business cards, and two post-its, and also threw away a nametag holder and recycled an old set of measuring spoons (I got a new one recently).
Dec. 22: Shredded 434 papers (a whole folder!) and recycled three brochures, two envelopes, and five papers.
Dec. 24: Recycled 36 papers and six envelopes and inserts.

I also organized my computer cords last week by tying the power strip and some loose cords to the bottom of my table with some thin wire, did a lot of filing, and caught up the last six months on Quicken - which I'm keeping up with so far. I finished the last of the feng shui cures today, and am going to start on decluttering my bedroom next.

Results: The massive shift in my decluttering habits is the big one. But I also saw demand for my work increase about a day after I really cleaned up the living room clutter and got rid of some piles. I got paid some money that was owed, and I raked in a lot more last week. Got a nice Christmas bonus, a wonderful work Christmas dinner, and a work lunch last week. My cat is doing much much better, eating like a pig and gaining weight, and I met my ex-boyfriend's parents! THAT was a big experience of letting go and having it happen! I've been letting go of him a lot too, and of lots of mental clutter that has kept me from having the life I want. Finally, I got my first associate with Ignite, and we both got the customers needed to get paid, so I'm awaiting my very first check!

So things are changing. My old friend who I've been seeing in a new way called me for Christmas today, and he said he didn't know how yet, but he knew things were changing. It sounded like he meant for both of us, and maybe for us together. I don't know either, but writing this, I feel eager for what's coming into my world. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Holidays whatever you celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment